Monday, February 14, 2011

One of New Year Resolutions--Not to be Tiger Mum

We have been very busy since last year, Thank God, we survived the first ever, formidable PSLE for our eldest son. He did reasonable well and now settles down happily in a boy secondary school.

New year was a blissful break for me. I determined to have much deserved rest. As usual, at each of turning of New Year, I would make a list of New Year resolutions, a habit which my parents formed into me.

Well, They are nothing special, such as, more exercise; spending more time with hubby, more kinder to my kids....I thought among them I would like to share with you one of resolutions is Not be a tiger Mum.

My kids and I had long shared one particular joke. When they were naughty, or whining for something, I would say, "Don't let naughty "their name"coming down from moon (I forgot how that was started, anyway, naughty children and monster mums are staying in the moon), otherwise, the monster mum will come down too."

For most of time, that serves as a reminder to ask them to behave, but there were times, it turned out that Monster Mum did come down, and my kids knew that was nothing enjoyable or funny.

So, when I read Amy Chua's famous article "Why Chinese parents are superior" because of "Tiger Mum". I was seeing myself in that picture which gave me a vivid chill.

So, I pounded and decided, I rather not to be a one.

Why does Amy think Chinese parents are superior than others lies on the utmost value each one holds. For her, it might be personal success; for others it might be enjoyment of life....

But I don't want to be one of Tiger Mums is because I don't want my kids to strive for whatever I want them to be and to do and neglect what God wants them to be and to do.

It doesn't matter how successful one might be. He is still in most pityful state if he doesn't know God and known by God.

I confess I had done much damage in this regards, I pray for God's forgiveness and help to be a Godly mother to my children.

This is one of my New Year resolutions.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ηeу I know thiѕ is off topіc but I ωas wondeгing
if you knew of any wiԁgets I could аdd to
my blоg that automatiсally tweet
my newest tωіtter updates. I've been looking for a plug-in like this for quite some time and was hoping maybe you would have some experience with something like this. Please let me know if you run into anything. I truly enjoy reading your blog and I look forward to your new updates.

my web blog - order dumpster