Monday, October 12, 2009

Thankfulness

Recently, we switched our fourth son, Stephen, from three-hour kindergarten to a full day childcare programme.He used to attend our church kindergarten in the morning. I found, since the baby was born, it difficult to keep him occupied in the afternoon, he did not take his usual nap in the afternoon and...being an active little boy who wants do a lot,while I was not all the time available, he ended up to be left alone, or into some mischiefs.

We thought about some other enrichment programmes, but with a five month old baby, I am loath to drive around, plus, my elder son will have PSLE next year, he needs a lot of help in studies.

So we chose the little village which is just around corner of our neighbourhood. The cost of school of course is very expensive, but we felt it was out of necessity. The government gives subsidy for all registered childcare program, however, the school administer told me that only working mothers entitle the full amount of S$300, while the non-working mothers only entitle half. (*working mother, by their definition, is those who work for pay more than 56 hour per month.)

As I mentioned in my early post, this is one of classic examples which some of relevant of policies need to be challenged.

  • the sheer definition of working mother;

  • the purpose of subsidy, to whom and for what;

  • the underline calling or factors affect mothers'choice;....


  • .....

    Ironically, mothers work for pay surely have more disposable income to spend for this kind of high end childcare service, while others probably have no means to afford basic needs even they want to.

    That reminds me of my suspended research topic. The very reason I took up this research was to help some full time mother and foster a more family friend envirnment in this land. Due to my fifth baby's birth, I have asked for one year break.

    Even after one year, my baby will be only one year old, I have four other kids need me , I am wondering "should I first practice what I am preaching?"

    .........
    Fortunately, Stephen loves his new school, especially many activities based learning which is suitable for his personality.

    I am thankful!

    No comments: